Alfie Hales, Ballybricken, Waterford, Co. Waterford
When in Waterford I couldn’t recommend a better place for a pint…in Waterford.
1. No food (at last except barfood Peanuts salted and roasted crisps and an array of Cadbury snacks no fucking club milks!)
2. Barely any women saving the ones behind the counter and the wans who are there with husbands.
3. Betting slips and pens in the jax (kindly donated by the bookies 5 doors up) which explains the tellies showing racing from all over.
4. Nothing but sport on telly no fucking ballsless sky news or soaps anywhere to be seen on either of the 7 tellies.
5. Trained barstaff (they actually know what they are doing and don’t need to be told what a relief!)
6. No stupid shite music playing trying to create an atmosphere.
7. No girls with skirts up their holes (good or bad?) But there’s a time and place for everything.
There are a few Alfies in Waterford but this one in Ballybricken is the only one I’ve darkened the door of. I have an inside man living in Waterford and am not sure as to the reception one would receive unaccompanied. Sure it’d be grand as long as you drink large ones off the shelf! Ballybricken is, I have been informed by my man on the inside, not such a great area, but in Waterford where is!?
It’s the kinda place you go for the cure on a Sunday or the sneaky one straight after work on a Friday, it’s the kinda place you go in for 1 or 2 and leave slurring your words wobbling dangerously down the footpath.
Alfie Hale was some sort of heroe(?) with Waaaterford United back in the day… they played Manchester United in some game and they played well but lost. He may have played for the replubic as well but I had imbibed about 5 pt bottles of stout at that stage and am not 100% sure…
PubSpy Rating 9.5 thumbs up out of 13
I had to dock 3.5 thumbs for making us Watch Munster on the smallest telly with the sound down (it’s a soccer pub!) it was weird as the soccer commentary went exactly with the rugby pictures a lot of the time!!! booooooo